5/18/2009

Our KY Family Derby

Lately, we have developed a daily race between Princess and Al to get ready for school in the morning. The winner gets to choose what music we listen to on the way to school. This started out as a great idea! I had 2 mornings that were fabulous! My fave being the morning Princess got up, dressed and combed her own hair without anyone knowing she was up (including me!) and before Al was even out of bed.

But the race has developed so many caveats that it's become work to me: ie, you lose if you sabotage your sibling getting ready, or if you run thru the house and knock over laundry hampers...etc, etc. If I have to declare the winner forfeited, then I get to choose the music. To teach them a lesson, I chose Josh Groban. It worked on Al, he thinks its opera. But it backfired with Princess--Track #1 is my fave, and now its hers, too.

Today as we listened to Hannah Montana in the car, Al started mockingly dancing to the music. I taunted him, "I think somebody is a closet Hannah fan."
Al said, "You can check my closet. You won't find anything Hannah Montana in it."

7 comments:

Jane said...

Wait until he is dating. she will be there then for sure!

Anonymous said...

what clever ways you find to motivate the kids.. If you really need some help - I could lend you some Barry M. Jane is right, wait till he is dating and them he will like the super teen stars too... Mom

Andrea said...

Your kids are great!!

Kim Thomas said...

Love this challenge! Of course, I can see the downside..the additional rules would be hard to manage.

Ruth Anne said...

I love that kids or tweens are so literal.

Andrea said...

Whatever it takes, baby, whatever it takes.

Queen B said...

this is a great idea! and hilarious in all the caveats.